// Electrolytes

So lately I've been noticing myself feeling dehydrated more often. I think it's a combination of me eating less salt and getting used to being home more and eating different (healthier) foods. My body is quite confused with me and not always very happy. So I did a little research on ways to help and the first thing I did was look up the foods I could eat that would supply me with natural electrolytes to keep my body hydrated and happy! Here are some foods that naturally supply you with all of the electrolytes your body needs to stay balanced, healthy, and hydrated!



In case you were wondering, these are the main electrolytes: Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Phosphate, & Chloride. These are very important nutrients that help the body function regularly. For example, Magnesium helps to reduce anxiety, helps with digestion, and helps balance your protein and fluid balance. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure. Sodium and chloride help to retain fluid balance in your body. So very important indeed!

Here are some of the vegetarian (pescatarian actually) sources where you can find each of these:

// Potassium 

Potatoes, spinach, kale, peas, beans, avocado, dates, raisins, lentils, bananas, tomatoes, oranges, butternut squash, beet greens, mushrooms, chard, coconut water, bok choy, zucchini, bell peppers, beets.

// Calcium 

Fish, eggs, beans, apricots, figs, asparagus, collard greens, butternut squash, beet greens, cheese, spinach, pickles, kale, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds.

// Magnesium 

Leafy greens including kale, spinach, and chard, whole grains, nuts, nut butter, beans, lentils, tomato paste, butternut squash, beet greens, coconut water, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds.

// Sodium 

Peanut butter, cheese, butternut squash, beet greens, spinach, dill pickles, mushrooms, chard, coconut water, celery, beets, bok choy, bell peppers.

// Chloride 

Olives, seaweed, tomatoes, lettuce, celery, cheese 

// Phosphate 
Egg yolks, nuts, soybeans and soy products, peas, beans, lentils, corn, mushrooms, oats, chocolate, seeds, cheese, fish. 

So there you have it. I eat most of these anyways when I'm eating a healthy, plant-based diet so I guess I'll just stick to that and make sure to include as many of these yummies as I can! Problem solved. 

Comments

Popular Posts