// Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas

Who doesn't love a good quesadilla?! I know I do! But I also love to beef (or veg?) them up a bit with some hardy veggies, beans, and greens to make them even MORE delicious and actually, kind of, healthy. I meeeeean, that's my excuse at least :)



I combined a few recipes I found on the web (here and here) to create my own, just the way I like them. Here's what I did:

// Ingredients
1 Sweet potato
Handful of spinach
Can of black beans (drained)
Cheese Mix (I like colby jack, monterrey jack, or mexican blend cheese)
Tortillas
Verde salsa
Olive oil
Spices: cumin, chili powder, turmeric, paprika
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large red onion, sliced

// Directions
1. Dice sweet potato and saute in olive oil for 5-10 minutes, covered, until tender.
2. Add beans, salsa, 1/4 tsp paprika, and 1/2 tsp of cumin, chili powder, and turmeric.
3. I think I also added some hemp seeds or something but that's optional.

// Meanwhile
1. In a medium sauce pan, combine vinegar, sugar, and pepper. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Put onion slices in a heatproof bowl (I used a 16 oz., wide mouth jar). Pour hot vinegar mixture over onions and let stand 10 minutes.
2. Use or store in fridge for 1-2 weeks.

// To assemble (this is what I did)
Tortilla
Chopped spinach
Sliced onions (from above)
Sweet potato/bean mix
Cheese
Tortilla





// Cook
I baked mine at 450 for 5-10 minutes but you can also cook on a large skillet over the stove.






// Eat
Then cut, top with salsa, and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts